FOREST SCHOOL ADVENTURE – Outdoor Skills and Play for Children.
Learn how to light a fire without matches, build a shelter to sleep in, cook on a fire, hunt for bugs and much more. From essential bushcraft basics and Stone Age survival skills to joyful outdoor play, this book is packed with ideas to bring your little ones closer to nature and all its magical offerings.
Young children will be immersed in imaginative, gloriously messy play and crafts, whilst older ones can get to grips with more complex activities like stone tool making and sourcing water. Whether in an organised setting, a group of friends or a family outing, the fun-filled games will build confidence, bonding and result in happy and energised children. Entertaining anecdotes from the authors’ own experience of surviving in the wild can be read aloud to children, bringing to life the thrilling reality of sleeping in a cave or savouring your first-ever foraged meal.
- Published: Spring 18
- Author: Naomi Walmsley & Dan Westall
- Binding: PB with flaps
- No. of pages: 176
- Dimensions: 260 x 215 mm
- Colour: Full colour throughout
- Age: 5-11
- Dan Westall and Naomi Walmsley run Outback2Basics (www.outback2basics.co.uk) from their patch of woodland in Shropshire, UK.
- Specialising in bushcraft and Stone Age skills, they provide unique experiences for schoolchildren and teachers to connect to nature.
- Dan has been a bushcraft teacher for many years and has also acted as a medic and survival consultant on various TV shows.
- Naomi is a qualified bushcraft instructor and Forest School Leader and believes that every child should be able to safely light a fire and have at least ten uses for a stick by the age of ten.
- She has also written about bushcraft and parenting for many magazines, including Bushcraft & Survival Skills, Living Woods and Juno.
- Together, they undertook a five-month Stone Age immersion experience in the US, living in the wilderness without any modern equipment, profoundly influencing their lives and teaching.
- Our Forest School Adventure & Urban Forest School authors Naomi Walmsley & Dan Westall have appeared on a Channel 4 TV show called Surviving the Stone Age.
- Watch all 3 episodes now here: shorturl.at/uDN24