Charcoal Burning at GRANSFORS BRUK Sweden
SORRY, POSTPONED DUE TO COVID-19. WE PLAN TO RUN THIS EVENT AGAIN LATE SUMMER 2022
Cost: €480 | approx £410 or 5 000 SEK
Fascinating practical introduction to charcoal making using steel ring kilns. Suitable for anyone wanting to learn this black art to produce high quality charcoal for cooking or forging. We will complete two burns, one in a commercial 6′ diameter steel ring kiln and another in a much smaller hobby MIDI kiln.
Of course, it was charcoal many hundreds of years ago that originally enabled axe smiths to forge axes!
What better place on earth to learn the subject than at the axe making forge of Gransfors Bruk in astonishingly beautiful rural Sweden near Bergsjo. An adventure in itself!
Make it an experience of a life time combining a course to learn Charcoal Burning at Gransfors Bruk and visit the world famous Gransfors Bruk Axe Forge.
In some places, history and tradition converge with modern times in a completely natural way. One such place is Gränsfors.
Firmly established along a meandering river, Gränsfors is situated in the north of Hälsingland. Just a short detour off the busy E4 motorway, you will find yourself in a world you thought no longer existed.
A vibrant culture of craft and industry has thrived here for hundreds of years. Mills, stove-builders, breweries, sawmills, forges and much more have been in operation along the river at one time or another.
Taught by one of the UK’s most experienced and knowledgeable charcoal burners Maurice Pyle of WOODSMITH EXPERIENCE
- Day 1 is a long one. We’ll start at about 9 am and finish late into the evening at around 9 pm. We’ll make charcoal in both a 6’ commercial steel ring kiln and a ‘hobby’ MIDI kiln.
- Day 2 starts slightly later at 10am and finishes around 1: 00pm. During this shorter session, we’ll open up the cooled kilns to assess the results, empty the charcoal from the kilns then grade and bag.
We’ll discuss the specification and characteristics of good quality charcoal suitable for the barbeque or use as bio-coal in your garden. Locally made charcoal is a fantastic sustainable woodland product. You will of course take home with you a bag of very special Swedish charcoal.
Instruction for Charcoal Burning at GRANSFORS BRUK Sweden will be in English only.
What you need to bring?
Work overalls, work gloves, strong boots, warm evening clothes – and a willingness to get dirty!
Course information | What’s included in the price:
- Practical instruction for 2 days
- Breakfast, lunch, 2x coffee and dinner for 2 days; breakfast always starts at 8:00am
- Accommodation in log cabins: 2 nights, night before the course and following night.
- Request for an individual room is an additional 400 SEK (approx £40)
Booking is directly from the GRANSFORS BRUK WEBSITE. This link will take you directly to the course page.
Gransfors Bruk will need to know which course you want to attend, your name and address, telephone no. and e-mail address as well as any extra information about individual accommodation and special food.
After the course registration, Gransfors Bruk will send a confirmation along with information and invoice.