WOOD SCHOOL at the Royal Horticulture Society (RHS), Harlow Green, Harrogate is a unique opportunity to work with some of the UK’s leading greenwood craft professionals.
This 17 day course spread over about 9 months is tailored towards those who are contemplating greenwoodworking as a career, whether you are new to greenwoodwork or wishing to develop existing skills it will provide you with the confidence and knowledge to find your own style and kick start your career into creative woodland crafts.
Based in the beautiful Green Oak Lodge within Harlow Carr Gardens in Harrogate, you will join professional craftsmen and tutors: Phil Bradley, Owen Jones, Maurice Pyle and Steve Tomlin to take you on a journey from tree identification, cultivation and harvesting techniques to building your own shave horse, an essential piece of equipment for all woodworkers, through to the skills and techniques for making traditional baskets, sculptural designs, larger woven panels and hurdles and smaller more intricate spoons and shrink pots, using materials from native and sustainably managed woodlands.
You will be instructed in handling tools and wood correctly with information on how to look after your tools, care for and sharpen them safely for many years of work ahead.
Indicative course outline, based on 2019 dates:
- 24 January- Wood sourcing / tree id / Willow coppicing and Cultivation – (1 day) Phil Bradley
- 21-22 February- Shavehorses (2 days) Maurice Pyle
- 28-29 March- Cleft Oak Hurdle and Woven Oak Panel (2 days) Owen Jones
- 25-26 April – Bowl Carving and Shrink Pots (2 days) Maurice Pyle
- 23-24 May- Willow Basket (2 days) Phil Bradley
- 27-28 June- Willow Sculpture (2 days) Phil Bradley
- 24-25 October- Spoon Carving (2 days) Steve Tomlin
- 28-29 November- Ash Splint Baskets (2 days) SteveTomlin
- 19 December - Tool care and Sharpening (1 day) with Maurice Pyle
- 20 December - Business day (1 day) with Maurice Pyle, Owen Jones, Phil Bradley and Steve Tomlin
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS COURSE FOR 2020, CONTACT GILL OWEN, EDUCATION AND LEARNING MANAGER, firstname.lastname@example.org | 01423 724 657 | 07515 224 767